Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Figuring Out the Structure of the Story (and the Characters)

  I've been trying to figure out how my story is going to unfold, and I've been trying some interesting techniques that are helping me through that process.
  So, I've been writing some short poems through the point of views of the different characters, especially my main character, Sam. I try to get into her head about how she feels about her friends and everything else she's going through. She's been through a lot, throughout her life, but these friends have started to put a smile on her face. For the first time in her life, she can honestly say that she's happy.
  But unfortunately, everything is temporary. Nothing lasts forever. Everything changes, especially when you think it won't. And I really want my film to express just that.


Here's a sample of a poem I wrote from Sam's point of view.


she always had trouble finding friends.

for some reason,
people wouldn’t really give her the love
she needed.

but these new friends.
they’re amazing.
she finds herself smiling even when she
though she wouldn’t be able to
anymore.

her parents aren’t really
as supportive as they should be.
and it’s not fair.

she loves her friends.
they’re everything she’s ever wanted.

just a close group of friends
she would be able to rely on.

a group of friends to make her
smile.
laugh.

they loved her.
and things were perfect.

...but nothing lasts.
especially happiness.
bad things happen all the time,
whether we see them coming or not.


No comments:

Post a Comment